Use this feature to find the most efficient route for your journey.
How to use this feature:
1. Click on the Add Point to the Route icon at the bottom of the toolbar.
The cursor will turn into crosshairs.
2. Click on the road where you want to make a stop.
You must click directly on the road. A new window will open. It will tell you the location of the stop you selected. You can keep the default name or give the stop your own name. Click Save and the Stop Description will be added to the route. Once you have all your stops selected, you can edit the details of the stops and the route.
3. Check or uncheck the Select box to include the stop in the route.
4. Select from the Stops dropdown menus to change the order of the stops.
5. Click the red X to the right of the stop to delete the stop from the route. Or, click the small red X at the top and center of the stop list to delete all the stops. Click the small blue check mark at the top and center of the stop list to select all the stops.
6. Choose the Minimize Time radio button if you want to complete the route as quickly as possible. Or, choose the Minimize Distance radio button if you want to complete the stops in the shortest possible distance.
The route with the shortest distance and the route that takes the least amount of time may not always be the same. For example a stop may be accessible by a 5km gravel road with a speed limit of 60km/h, and by a 7km paved road with a speed limit of 90km/h. The gravel road is the shortest route, but the paved road is the quickest route.
7. Choose to Show Directions, Return to Start, and/or see the Best Order.
Show Directions will give you written instructions for completing your journey.
Return to Start will include directions on returning to your start point. Best Order will give you the route with the stops in the most efficient order. Use Best Order if you do not need to complete the stops in a particular sequence. If you select Best Order, a dropdown menu become active. You can choose to use Best Order and keep the start stop, or keep the end stop, or keep the start and end stops.
8. Select Find Route.
The route will be shown by a green line on the map. The stops will be represented by orange stars. If you have selected to Show Directions, a new window will open with written directions for completing the journey.